I created this beauty admist a snow storm and it was the perfect dish to enjoy while watching the flakes come down. It’s nutritional benefits are out of this world! This vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free dish is also perfect for holiday gatherings! Prepare multiple squash to serve according to how many guests you have.
Acorn squash is part of my winter beauty basket. It boosts the immune system, strengthens your bones, makes your skin glow, and maintains blood sugar and fluid balance.
Lentils and wild rice are hearty and full of protein and iron, two very important staples in a vegetarian/vegan diet.
I added in some dried cranberries to the lentils and rice to plump them up & reap the benefits of the immune boosting nutrients found in them. Plus they add such a nice sweetness to this savory dish!
Pumpkin seeds have antioxidants, magnesium & zinc!
I always add hemp hearts to any meal I create. They are my favorite superfood! They are packed with protein and amino acids. My favorite brand of hemp hearts are from Manitoba Harvest. You can buy them here.
This little beauty is PACKED with nutrients to keep you glowing during these cold winter months. You may face the cold on the outside but you’ll be warm on the inside!
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
What you’ll need…
1 acorn squash
1 cup wild rice
1/2 cup lentils
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
How to make it…
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Cut acorn squash in half, take a spoon and scoop out seeds and flesh. (Save the seeds, dry them, and bake for later for a zero waste tip!).
3. Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil into acorn squash. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add to oven and roast for 45 minutes.
4. Bring 2 cups of water to boil. Add rice and lentils and stir every so often.
5. Once rice and lentils have absorbed most of the water add in the cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
6. Once squash is finished, remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
7. Add rice mixture into acorn squash.
8. Garnish with hemp hearts & enjoy!