DISCLAIMER: It is beyond my scope of practice to prescribe these supplements. My goal is for you to become aware there are natural ways to support gut health. Please direct questions or concerns to your doctor or medical professional. It’s necessary that all clients see a doctor for proper testing and diagnosing before taking any supplements.
Supplements are a mostly self-regulated industry. The FDA doesn’t test or approve supplements but they will send out warnings and take action if issues are discovered after supplement has hit the shelves.
Supplements are defined as, “products that add nutritional value and that contain any one or a combination of the following ‘dietary ingredients'”.
- Amino Acids
- Concentrates, metabolites, constituents, or extracts
- Herbs or other botanicals
- Supplemental protein or carbohydrates
Why would you want to take a supplement?
- Getting bacteria and minerals from our local soils is such a good gut health booster! However depletion of soil minerals due to modern farming practicing is becoming more prevalent.
- If you feel you have a compromised microbiome.
- If you are on a limited diet that makes it difficult to take in a variety of nutrients.
- If the water in your home is mineral-deficient.
- If you want to detox due to stress and to feel your best.
Common Supplements for Gut Health
- Digestive enzymes and bitters (improves digestion)
- Betaine HCL (for low stomach acid)
- Prebiotics and probiotics (support a healthy gut)
- L-glutamine (support and repair gut lining)
- Magnesium and mucilaginous herbs (support healthy bowel movements)
Important Factors to Consider
- Additives and Fillers (lookout for things like “artificial color” or “artificial flavor”
- Efficacy (are they effective and absorbable? look for endorsements)
- Research (has the company completed any clinical or general studies?)
- Sourcing (buy from trusted brands)
- Testing (check to see what testing was done)
When navigating the supplement aisle, always use your best judgment! If you feel the company hasn’t done enough research, you don’t have to buy their product! Your health comes first. And as always, consult your doctor before taking any supplements! Refer to the disclaimer at the top of the page.